Wednesday, January 19

Teacher of the Year

Hello again,

So I may have inadvertently told you a lie in my last post. I said that last week was semi-uneventful but that wasn't completely true. Last Thursday night I was honored by the Veterans of Foreign Wars as being the 2010 Teacher of the Year. My students, bless them, nominated me. My job can be quite challenging sometimes. Most of you know that I get paid the equivalent of quarters and hugs from burly, sweaty football players. I know that this probably doesn't seem attractive to you at all, but I must tell you- worrying about being form tackled every time I see one of them is quite an adrenaline rush!

Anyway, I cannot tell you how humbling it was to hear some of the things that my students had written about me. Here are a few of them:

-The most innovative teacher at ACPA is Mrs. McGraw.

-It's safe to say Emily McGraw is an over-achiever, always coming up with new things to do in class.

-She helps me retain and absorb the information in a simpler way so I can really understand what is going on and how it fits into the timeline.

-She'll make jokes on occasion and laugh with her students.

-She teaches the lessons on our level, gets right to the point, and knows we'll be ready for any future examinations.

-There is a confidence in her that many wish they had.

-She pushes us hard because she knows of what we are capable and she wants us to be our best.

-She makes learning fun because she is so passionate about what she is teaching.

-She is feisty and tough, gives great advice, and is very determined.

-She supports us in what we do, and helps us become better as students, players, people, and Christians.

-All of these elements combine to help further Mrs. McGraw as more than a teacher; she becomes a friend to the students and allows them to offer input so that there is a continuously growing eagerness for learning taking place.

There are 42 bullet points on the list that my co-teacher gave me! As I'm typing and reading this list, I'm crying like a baby. I just can't believe that they would say these things, and then go the extra mile to enter it into a contest. I just love all of these kids so much, even if they do wear me out on a daily basis. So, to all of you students who are reading this, thank you from the very bottom of my heart. You have no idea the impact you have made on my life, and you have no idea of the depth of gratitude I have for each one of you.

Okay moving on, I think that I need to go eat something, I'm getting a little too weepy. Happy day friends!

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Emily congratulations!!! I love it! I knew you would be an awesome teacher!

    ReplyDelete