Monday, August 13

BOWS!

So, I love bows on babies. Unfortunately, Macy likes to play with bows more than wear them on her head. I have found a solution for the time being- smaller bows. The smaller they are, the quicker she forgets about them. So my quest to find small bows led me of course to Pinterest where I was able to find a super cute goldfish bow, and was able to follow the tutorial here!

{via}
Here's how I did it. Start out with one long strip (tutorial above suggests 7", but that was way too long for what I wanted), and then you will need three 1" strips. Sorry for the poor iPhone photography!


Then you fold the ribbon in half length-wise, and then pull the top part off to the side.


You want this part to be a little puffy because you don't want your gold fish to have a flat head! So you just have to play with it until it looks good to you.


Then pinch at the spot that gives you enough fluff, I put a dot of hot glue on mine to make sure it held the way I wanted it. You can see when you compare the picture above and the picture below how much length I ended up taking off, it was unfortunate. 


Then you take one of the small strips and wrap the spot where you were pinching. I also took this opportunity to make sure the 'tails' were even. 


Next you want to make his arms. Take the other two smaller strips, put a dot of hot glue on one end, then fold over like below.


You are so close to the end! Next you will position the arms in the way that looks best to you. I chose to have them pointing down, like the little guy was swimming!


Lastly, you add an adhesive wiggly eye and the little guy comes to life! Again, the iPhone is not the best camera for these pictures. Sorry!


This was just one of the bows I was making for Macy this past Saturday. One item I would suggest is using something different than the 'snap' clips. I got them because they stay really well in Macy's hair, but I wasn't thinking of how I would attach the flat bows to a curved surface. I just had to add a bit more hot glue than I would've wanted to. But that's okay, we only need them for a little while long until Macy gets a little more hair. After I was done, I put them all in here hair. She didn't even try to pull them out, SUCCESS!


However, she was ready for me to stop taking pictures.


I got the cute ribbon from Pick Your Plum, which runs specials on different craft supplies every week day. When I got done with the bows, I went out to my mailbox to find that the super fun cupcake liners and paper straws had both come in! Woohoo!


In other news, this happened today. Macy was snacking on some puffs, then took the bottle off into the kitchen, dumped puffs on the floor, and continued eating them in between play breaks. Yeah, I let this happen...



1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh that is adorable! am i too old to wear a fish bow?? *sigh*
    although that reminds me, a couple of months ago i was in forever 21 (yeah, go ahead and judge, i'm ok with it - i needed a dress under $30) and they literally have an area of the store that is designated as "totally 90's" AND they were offering scrunchies as a point-of-sale item at the register. i made some hilarious comment about it to the girl working there and wondered why she didn't laugh, then noticed she was probably born in 1997. :'(
    But Macy looks soooo precious. And I'm certain your floors are definitely clean enough to eat a puff off of :)

    ReplyDelete