Wednesday, August 15

Pinspiration vs. Pincopying

I have developed a new pet peeve, and it is when people go on Pinterest and copy verbatim from someone else. This really is ridiculous, you don't have to tell me that because several people already have, but it bugs me. Don't get me wrong, Pinterest is a great tool! I just think it's so sad because when you copy something detail for detail, it's not personal to you. You will look back at pictures and always think, "I copied that from someone" rather than "I took a great idea, and made it my own and personal to my event." 

There is a big difference between 'pinspiration' and 'pincopying.' For example, when it came to Macy's birthday party I had lots of 'pinspiration!'


This image was a HUGE inspiration for Macy's party. I knew that I wanted to carnival theme, but I am such a sucker for clever word play so this was a must!

{via}
Here's how I used that inspiration.

Credit: Amylu Photography

Credit: Amylu Photography

Cupcakes are all the rage right now, but I wanted something different that you wouldn't see at all the other parties you were going to this summer. So, I chose to do cake balls and used this photo as my inspiration. 

{via}

Here's how our cake balls turned out.

Credit: Amylu Photography

And here was Macy's smash cake ball...

Credit: Amylu Photography

The highchair was also very important to me. It needed to be perfect because so many pictures of Macy would be taken in this high chair. Below was the dream highchair, but I think what we had was even better!

{via}

Credit: Amylu Photography
You rock, DB! Thank you for finding this for me and creating such fun decor to go with it!

I love the venue where we had Macy's party, but I wanted a ceiling treatment. There are so many cool things you can do using very little of your budget. I used the picture below, as well as few others, to try and communicate the vision I had for the chadelier-type ceiling treatment.

{via}

This is what my fabulous friends were able to make.

Credit: Amylu Photography

I love looking at pictures from Macy's party. I love thinking to myself, 'Every detail is personal to Macy and to our family,' and I take pride in every single detail.  Again, this is a personal thing. I do not think you are a terrible person if you copy something straight from Pinterest, NO! Some things can't be helped, I just hope that you will put your own personal touches on whatever it is by changing colors, or wording, or WHATEVER! 

After all that, I'm going to step off my soap box! Goodnight!



No comments:

Post a Comment